Energy Assistance

We offer support year-round for Seattle residents to help pay for home heating and furnace repair.


The 2021-2022 Energy Assistance Program year begins Oct. 1, 2021. There are currently no in-person appointments while our offices on 18th Ave are closed for renovations. However, we will accept applications submitted online, by mail, email or drop-off at our temporary food bank location at 420 E. Pike St. during our hours: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 9 am – 4 pm and Thursday 9 am – 5 pm.

Need help paying your utility bill?

If you live in Seattle and your household income is at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level, you may be eligible for financial assistance with your utility bill. Review eligibility criteria and apply online or by mail. You can apply once per year from October through September.

Byrd Barr Place administers the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) to help households pay for electric, gas, wood, propane and oil heating and Puget Sound Energy’s Home Energy Lifeline Program (PSE HELP) for Puget Sound Energy customers who use gas heat.

With both programs, payment support ranges from $100 to $1,000; the average household receives $337 per year. Payment support is made by Byrd Barr Place directly to the utility company.

Is your furnace broken?

If you are a homeowner, you may qualify for financial assistance with furnace repairs, cleanings or replacements. Contact us at or call 206-812-4940 for more information.

Have your utilities been shut off?

Notify Seattle City Light or Puget Sound Energy right away that you are applying to Byrd Barr Place for emergency energy assistance. Apply online or contact us at or call 206-812-4940 for help with the forms.

Apply for energy assistance

Apply Online
Submit a secure online application and upload documents. All information is confidential and used only to determine eligibility. For the best experience, please use a computer with a stable internet connection.

Apply by Mail
Download an application form or request that a form be mailed to you by emailing or calling 206-812-4940.

Please mail your application to 722 18th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122. All mail sent by the U.S. Postal Service will be forwarded to Byrd Barr Place’s temporary office location during the building renovation period.

If you would like to drop off your application in person, please visit the temporary Food Bank at 420 E. Pike St., Seattle, WA 98122 between 9 am and 5 pm Monday through Wednesday, and between 9 am and 2 pm on Thursday.

Sign up for our client newsletter

* indicates required